A stagecoach of the City Omnibus Line stops in front of an adobe church in the village of Los Griegos, New Mexico, in 1883. Founded in 1708 by a land grant to Juan Griego, Los Griegos grew to be a thriving farming community by the late 1800s. It was annexed by Albuquerque in the 1940s, and exists today as the Los Griegos Historic District in the North Valley area of the city. It has retained much of its 19th-century architectural and cultural character.
Stagecoach in Los Griegos, New Mexico, 1883
Apr 6, 2016
Photo (albumen print on card mount) by W. Cal Brown, whose studio was purchased by William Henry Cobb in 1885. Interestingly, Cobb would become the son-in-law of Territorial Governor Edmund G. Ross when he married the Governor’s daughter and secretary, Eddie Ross, in 1891.
Image Source: “Los Griegos, N.M., 1883” (000-119-0794); digital images, “UNM CSWR Cobb Memorial Photography Collection,” Center for Southwest Research, University Libraries, University of New Mexico, New Mexico Digital Collections (http://econtent.unm.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/CobbMem/id/794/rec/36); citing “The Cobbs Studio of Albuquerque, New Mexico.”